A number of IT career opportunities are available from different organizations like SafeBoda, Crane Cloud, Women In Technology Uganda, Google and Makerere University.
Crane Cloud, a project under the College of Computing & Information Sciences, Makerere University is seeking a Software Developer.
● Design and configure multi-cloud Crane Cloud clusters using open source technologies across a set of distributed hardware
● Advance new features for the Crane Cloud-managed portal in supporting application deployment, monitoring and billing
● Develop and maintain a local image registry within the Kubernetes clusters
● Build CI/CD Pipelines and help to design solutions that will aid smooth deployment
● Work with Kubernetes and other cloud-native technologies
● Monitoring existing applications and infrastructure and possible recommendations for improvement
Some of the personal specifications include:
● Minimum 3-year experience in software development
● Ability and willingness to build CI/CD pipelines
● Knowledge and experience in developing for the cloud environment
For more details on this opportunity, go to: https://techrafiki.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/SoftwareDeveloperPosition-1.pdf
SafeBoda summer data intern
SafeBoda is looking for a Data Intern who will get the opportunity to see cutting edge analytics at one of East Africa premier tech start-ups. As a data intern, you will learn how data pipelines work and how the company will harness data to make smarter decisions within the company.
- Writing database queries in PostgreSQL to extract data for departments across the company.
- Building dashboards and visualizations in Metabase, GSuite, Power BI, Python.
- Take on individual analytics projects from start to finish: Extracting data from our database, creating meaningful visualizations, interpreting findings and clearly expressing them in a report.
- Shadowing current Data Analysts to see how they solve problems and create an analysis using data.
You should have:
- ● BS/BA or higher in quantitative fields, statistics, math, computer science, operations management,
- engineering or related disciplines.
- ● No prior experience with postgreSQL or specific analytics tools is required, though demonstrated interest
- in data and analytics is a plus.
- ● Creative problem solving and critical thinking skills with a passion toward action and a get things done attitude.
- ● A never-ending desire to grow and learn.
- ● Strong interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills.
- ● Live the SafeBoda values, represent the company in everything you do and constantly fly the flag.
Opportunity to come and learn with a rapidly growing startup within a data team at the forefront of the industry.
Monthly cash stipend at 300,000UGX
- SafeBoda transport allowance of 150,000 UGX
- Free lunch at the SafeBoda Academy
- Note: Interns will be expected to supply their own laptop to work with
Please email [email protected] with a resume and a cover letter explaining why you would thrive at this opportunity to work with SafeBoda.
A senior Backend Software Engineer is needed. You are a great fit if you’re comfortable as an individual contributor with aspirations to grow and lead a team. As a Senior Backend Software Engineer, you’re comfortable with data modelling, infrastructure management and debugging, whether that is our code or diving into third-party libraries to understand the root cause of a bug.
Some of the skills and qualifications required:
● 4+ years of working python and strong python fundamentals
● Familiarity with Django or another MVC-style web framework.
● Strong data modelling skills including experience optimizing data models and queries in the context of an ORM (preferably Django).
● Strong written communication skills and experience reviewing code.
● Familiarity with AWS infrastructure (EC2/VPCs, RDS, Elasticache) a plus
To apply, please submit your CV/resume and a short cover letter sharing more about yourself, your experience and why you are inspired to work with Numida to [email protected] and [email protected] with the subject line: Senior Backend Software Engineer
For more information, go to: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wV3viY0dtu0WIWaM_hM44pPRerm9RcKV/view
A Full-Stack Software Engineer is needed to accelerate new product development. Success in this role requires effective communication with the product team to ensure specifications are clear followed by strong execution to ship end-to-end features – whether that is testing out MVPs of new products or delivering new features to our existing users.
Your Skills and Qualifications:
● Familiarity with Django or another MVC-style web framework.
● Track record of shipping end-to-end features from product specifications into production.
● Familiarity with React Native and Android development is a plus
● Interest in UI/UX and some design sense is a plus
For more information on this job, go to: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Y2S2G-9th57gjkQFNLO8HIzX1BXZw9Qo/view
To apply, please submit your CV/resume and a short cover letter sharing more about yourself, your experience and why you are inspired to work with Numida to [email protected] and [email protected] with the subject line: Full-Stack Software Engineer
A Launch Business Operations Lead is needed at Wave. The company is looking for someone to lead its business operations. Someone who is resourceful, organized and proactive about getting things done. While the Country Launcher is focused on user growth and is mainly in the field, the Launch Business Operations Lead will ensure other aspects of the business are addressed to ensurethe company can scale rapidly.
- Build and strengthen relationships with the banks, telecom operators and businesses that Wave needs to succeed
- Develop presentations, proposals and source partnerships
- Facilitate communication between external partners and internal Wave teams (Product, Finance, Distribution)
- Manage the relationship with Wave’s stakeholders including banks, telecom operators and third party suppliers (eg. for bill payment) to ensure that Wave’s service level agreements are met
- Provide reporting data required by Wave’s partners
- Location: Kampala, with occasional travel to other parts of the country
- Because we operate in many countries, we have a week-long retreat for managers and remote staff every four months in one of our operating countries. These are optional (particularly during COVID-19) but encouraged.
- Language: Excellent written and verbal skills in English and any other Ugandan Local language
- Previous Experience: 4+ years leading a team at a rapidly scaling organization
Go to this link to apply and get more information about this opportunity, https://www.wave.com/en/careers/job/?gh_jid=5318104002?gh_jid=5318104002
More IT career opportunities
Call for applications to the 5th Edition of the Paradigm Initiative Digital Rights and Inclusion Media Fellowship
The application process is now open for the 5th edition of the Paradigm Initiative (PIN) Digital Rights and Inclusion Media Fellowship (DRIMF). Through academic and practical learnings, Paradigm Initiative Digital Rights and Inclusion Media Fellowship 2021 seeks to embed media professionals within the digital ecosystem. Media Fellows will connect with PIN teams in Cameroon, Kenya, Nigeria, Senegal, Zambia and Zimbabwe.
The fellowship seeks to expose media professionals to an underreported field of work at national and regional level, increasing reporting on digital rights and inclusion in Africa.
Selected media professionals must be available to commence the fellowship from 1 August 2021 to 30 November 2021, to connect and collaborate mostly virtually, and where applicable, be present for in-person activities. Paradigm Initiative’s Digital Rights and Inclusion Media Fellowship is a 4-month program designed to immerse outstanding early career journalists in the digital ecosystem.
Applications are open to journalists working in Africa.
Some of the components of the fellowship include;
- Online Digital Rights/Inclusion academic training.
- Interaction with PIN team members within Africa.
- 4-month virtual mentorship and collaboration with Paradigm Initiative.
The requirements include;
The Fellowship is open to early-career journalists with not more than 8 years experience in the media sector and affiliated with mainstream print and online newspapers in Africa. Interested candidates must have a relevant undergraduate degree and demonstrate previous coverage of human rights and/or tech issues and interest in advancing digital rights and inclusion.
Applications are open from 1 June 2021 to 22 June 2021. Go to this link to apply https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScGZ4Z6k7dpr3G87LJs3ChorpCEHvPvz8mCMU14oLuXqPU8yg/viewform before the deadline.
Google Africa Developer Scholarship 2021
Google and Pluralsight have partnered for the third consecutive year to provide a program to support software developers across Africa in three different roles:
- Associate Android Developer
- Associate Cloud Engineer
- Mobile Web Specialist
This program aims to engage with existing and aspiring developers to help them build the skills they need to get a job in tech after the program is over. The Google Africa Developer Scholarship (GADS) program gives participants free access to select courses, projects, embedded labs (powered by Qwiklabs) and skill assessments; plus support from the Google Developer community.
The resources available in this program will help developers build the skills necessary to get their Google certification. Previous participants have gone on to build impactful projects for their communities, make incredible steps in their career journeys, and even become Google-certified developers and engineers.
Applicants will be prioritized for advancement based on the amount of Pluralsight content consumed and other target demographics.
In order to participate in the Google Africa Developer Scholarship program, you must be at least 18 years of age and be a resident of a country in Africa. You may only register for one learning track/role.
To continue advancing through the sessions to get access to more courses you’ll need to prove you’re dedicated to learning these tech skills. You can do this by:
- Registering for your selected track
- Completing all requirements to advance to the next phase
For more details on the application and promotion phase of this scholarship, go to: https://www.opportunitiesforafricans.com/google-africa-developer-scholarship-gads-program-2021/
You can apply through this link: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSclTwgs0hSHYhvcpPWEbQZczSmG8Una9lf9eN_XSmMF1RrN2Q/viewform
Women In Technology Uganda internship program
Women in Technology Uganda[WITU] in collaboration with Cadence have launched a PAID internship program starting on July 5th 2021. This opportunity is targeting a young lady in IT related courses that include Computer Science, Software Engineering and others.
The purpose of this program is to provide remote Jobs and international software development exposure to young Ladies with skills/training in Software Development in Uganda. Successful candidates will work with Cadence software Development Team across the globe. Also, you will be enrolled in Coursera software development & matched with mentors at Cadence to further strengthen your hands.
Applicants will receive the following to facilitate them during the internship program:
(a). A Laptop
(b). A Nice Collaborative Work Environments
(c). Competitive Monthly Stipend
(d). Mentorship from International Industry software practitioners
It is open to both fresh Graduates and professionals. There is limited space available so applications will be reviewed and successful applicants contacted. The best will be selected after a series of interviews and tests.
Applications close on 11th June, 2021 23:00 and application acceptance notifications will be received by 13th June 2021 23:55.
Interviews will be held from June 14 – 15th, 2021 in a virtual session.
Sign up here by tapping this link: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfToeWy4RXoXHE0KVzhtA-I1sc9n2sOK1OfTb9byFTUAi8oPA/viewform
Makerere University logo design competition
Makerere University will be celebrating the centenary year from 2021 to 2022 and is planning to design a commemorative logo that will be used in all media – including online, print, on merchandise and other visual collateral during the celebrations.
All Students of Makerere University are invited to design a creative, innovative & professional Logo and Letterhead in line with the theme of centenary celebrations.
- The competition is open to all Makerere University Students who are fully registered.
- Individuals or teams (with 2-3 students) may submit only one entry.
- All submitted work must be the original work of the entrant(s) and must not include, be based on, or derived from any pre-existing or third-party designs, trademarks, or copyrighted images.
- All entries will become the property of Makerere University.
- By submitting an entry, each entrant agrees that any and all intellectual property rights in the logo and letterhead design are deemed assigned to Makerere University.
Some of the logo and letterhead requirements include:
- The Logo and letterhead must promote the theme of centenary celebrations
- Colours are limited to the Makerere University colour scheme
- Integrity: The Logo and letterhead should not contain any copyrighted material.
- The Logo must have been created and edited by the contestant(s).
The prizes available for contestants.
- Winning design: UShs. 3,500,000/-
- 1st runners-up: UShs. 2,500,000/-
- 2nd runners-up: UShs. 1,500,000/-
Go to this link for more details: https://techrafiki.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/Makerere-Centenary-Celebrations-Logo-Design-Contest-Brief.pdf
Please Submit your original source file as a high resolution. pdf with 300 dpi or higher to Email: [email protected] or as sealed hard copy to Office of The Dean, Margaret Trowell School of Industrial and Fine Arts (MTSIFA), on June 25, 2021 by 4.30 pm.