The Uganda Driving License System (UDLS) launched its operations on 1st March 2021 after the announcement of the new guidelines by the Minister of Works and Transport Hon. Gen. Katumba Wamala. The new guidelines that were communicated about the new driving license issuance process to the public have taken effect since UDLS commenced its operations in March.
Among the changes that were communicated were the new driving license rates which now included the new 5-year validity for the driving permits. Formerly, permits had to be renewed every after 3 years but can now be renewed after 5 years following the new guidelines.
URA gives details about new driving license issuance process
The Uganda Revenue Authority (URA) has released details about the new driving license issuance process that people are required to follow when they are getting driving licenses. The new URA fees for processing and production i.e fees and license production fees will be generated on a single PRN (Payment Registration Number) generated from the URA portal.
Below are the new changes and rates as communicated by URA.
|PRN generation for driving license effective 1st March 2021
|All fees will still be configured on the URA portal, under Non Tax Revenue (NTR)
|The PRNs will now include both non-tax revenue fees (URA) and license production fees for Uganda Security Printing Company (USPC)
|Valid PRNs previously generated for driving permits but not yet paid.
|Thes are PRNs that had been registered for permit issuance through Face Technology but have not yet been paid and are still valid by 27th Feb 2021. They do not contain the production fee component.
|These PRNs were all expired and cancelled. Please advise the clients to generate new PRNs from the web portal. The new PRNs will have both NTR and production fees.
|Valid PRNs previously generated for driving permits and paid, but permit not yet processed.
|These are PRNs that had been registered for permit issuance through Face Technology and have been paid but the permit processing at Face Technology was not yet completed. They do not contain the production fee component.
|The clients will be required to generate additional PRNs from the URA portal for only the production fees for either Learners or Full permits.
PRNs (Payment Registration Numbers) for driving licenses are to be configured on the URA portal but now include non-tax revenue fees and production fees.
Those who had previously generated PRNs but had not yet paid are to generate new PRNs since the old ones have been cancelled. They will pay for the new ones that include non-tax revenue fees and production fees.
Those who had previously generated PRNs and paid but the permit processing was not yet completed will be required to generate new ones for only the production fees.
URA also issued the fees that are required for the new driving license issuance process as follows:
|Driver License Type
|NTR Fees (UGX)
|Production Fees (UGX)
|Learner Driving License
|Test Fees Each Class
|New Driving License (1 year)
|New Driving License (3 years)
|New Driving License (5 years)
|Driving License Renewal (1 year)
|Driving License Renewal (3 years)
|Driving License Renewal (5 years)
|Conversion of Foreign Driving License (1 year)
|Conversion of Foreign Driving License (3 years)
|Extension (Each class)
|Duplicate Driving License
|Duplicate Learner’s permit
|Production Fees for Driving License
|Production Fees for Learners Driving License
Citing the new driving license rates that were issued by the Uganda Driving Licensing System on the day it launched its operations, the table above is a breakdown that shows how UDLS amounts to these figures.
Read also: How much are the new driving permits?
Requirements to get new driving license.
The mandatory documents you will need for this process are;
- Valid National ID (Original Copy)
Valid Passport for foreigners (Original Copy)
Refugee card for refugees (Original Copy)
- Proof of Payment (Payment Registration Number)
- Learner’s licence (Original)
- Certificate of Competence(Issued by the Police IOV)
- Certificate of Completion(Obtained from a licensed driving school after training)
The new driving license issuance process for a new license
1) Go to a Licensed driving school (of your choice) with your learners’ licence for the training.
2) You will be issued with a driving Certificate of Completion from the driving school upon successful training.
3) Go to URA Portal and proceed to the bank and pay appropriate fees for Learner’s test fees(UGX 25,000)
4) Go to (IOV) Inspector of Vehicles together with your driving school Certificate of Completion, the Driving instructor and receipt from the bank.
5) The IOV will issue and send a Certificate of Competence(CoC) to UDLS upon successful completion of the Driver test.
6) Go to the URA portal and generate a New /Full licence assessment form and proceed to the bank or to your preferred mobile money service and pay the appropriate fee(UGX 330,000/UGX 230,000/UGX 135,000).
7) Go to UDLS Offices with your Bank receipt to process the New/Full licence.
8) UDLS will verify, process and issue the licence.
With the new driving license issuance process, cash will not be allowed on the UDLS premises and people were advised to pay in banks as only receipts will be allowed at the offices at main Railway Station on plot 57 Nasser road.