Raxio launches first certified tier 3 data centre in Uganda today officially at its site in the Kampala Industrial and Business Park (KIBP), Uganda. This state-of-the-art facility finally met its completion early this year where it’s now located at the heart of Namanve Industrial Park.
At its simplest, a data centre is a physical facility that organizations use to house their critical applications and data. A data centre’s design is based on a network of computing and storage resources that enable the delivery of shared applications and data.
Raxio data center is especially unique as it is officially the first certified Tier III data centre in Uganda. A tier 3 data centre, the second-highest level of classification for data centres is one that can perform repairs without any notable service disruption
Also read: What is a data centre?
A higher level of digitization expected as Raxio launches first certified tier 3 data centre in Uganda
As Uganda strives to increase data use and storage, as well as the wider digital transformation of companies and the public sector, the existence of a facility like Raxio data centre is critical to achieving these objectives. These objectives provide a solid basis for Uganda’s economy to develop.
As a carrier-neutral data centre, Raxio Uganda offers a wide variety of seamless data connectivity options due to a variety of local and international fibre carriers currently connected at the data centre. These include Africell Uganda Limited, Airtel Uganda, Bandwidth and Cloud Services Group (BCS Group), Csquared, Liquid Telecom, MTN Uganda, National Information Technology Authority-Uganda (NITA-U), Roke Telkom, SEACOM and Uganda Telecom Limited (UTL).
Raxio launches first certified tier 3 data centre in Uganda that will greatly support the core priorities of the Ministry of ICT in Uganda, including:
- ICT infrastructure: extending the ICT infrastructure network to cover the entire country to ensure digital inclusion
- Job creation: increasing job creation through ICT Research & Innovation
- Information security: improve and ensure the Information Security System is secure, reliable, resilient and capable of responding to cybersecurity threats
Raxio Data Center is set to provide its customers with top quality services. It launches first certified tier 3 data centre in Uganda that hosts a number of services like;
- Colocation where customers benefit from affordable, secure colocation spaces and rack hosting environments to hold all mission-critical IT infrastructure.
- Cross-connect services cable services that allow you to make quick, easy and direct connections to carriers, enterprises, content distributors, and cloud service providers.
- Active and dark fibre services carrying high SLA, courtesy of the diverse and redundant paths of connectivity to Raxio’s data centres. The carriers offer point to point and point to multi-point, capacity circuits from the data centres to other remote locations.
- Customer spaces: Raxio offers private workspaces to help customers work from their data centres. These include hot desks, meeting rooms, and large boardrooms.
Read also: The launch of DSA Uganda chapter coming soon
Mr James Byaruhanga, the General Manager of Raxio Data Centre said, “Construction of our flagship facility has been a long but rewarding journey to this point that we are launching operations. Raxio Data Centre is a dream come true, with our Tier III certification from the Uptime Institute we believe that this facility will be a bedrock for increased economic development in Uganda as it will attract several opportunities for colocation not only regionally but also internationally. We look forward to the positive impact of our facility across the enterprise and SME markets, and on key industries such as financial services, content and media”.
In October last year, Raxio received Uptime certification making it the first Tier 3 certified carrier-neutral data centre in Uganda. The Data Centre’s evaluation process included power, cooling, fire suppression and detection. The success of the evaluation awarded Raxio Data Centre the Tier III Certification, allowing customers to receive certified services.
As Raxio launches first certified tier 3 data centre in Uganda, the growth in data usage, storage and the broader digital transformation in Uganda is expected. Raxio will be a centre-piece of infrastructure supporting the Ugandan economy and the goals set in the MoICT (Ministry of Information, Communications and Technology) Data Strategy.
Read more: RENU celebrates 15 years of greatness